Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Up the wall

I like wall hangings. They're another good way (besides this) to make a quilt without...well without actually making a quilt.

This, naturally, is one of my favorites. I got my degree at K-State, and this flag lets me show my quilt-y and purple pride at the same time. The powercat is a licensed logo, and it's a big no-no to reproduce it without permission. If you're ever in Manhattan, KS, you'll see lots of powercats displayed backwards (facing left instead of right) in an attempt to get away with copying the design. So when I found this pattern about two years ago in Wichita, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. Now we have these patterns in the shop, so you can feel just as lucky as I did! Oh yeah, and if you're a fan of that other school in Kansas, there are flag and quilt patterns with their mascot also.

Here is another wall hanging I did right after I opened the shop.

Right now it hangs in the entryway to the shop. It's done in blue and brown 1800's reproductions with reproduction shirting prints for the white. Each piece is just 1" wide. It took longer than I thought it would b/c of the small pieces, but it still went pretty quickly by using strip piecing. The pattern is called "Martin's Pennies." It's a good way to use up scraps in case you're one of those people that has extra fabric lying around =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

I’d like to know how to get the pattern for the kstate flag pattern pictured above.