Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Mint chocolate treats

Okay, remember how I was telling you about wanting to make the bag from the new Terry Atkinson book? Well, what do you think?!

I love the way this turned out. I used 3 fat quarters and 1/2 yard of lining from the Metro Blue line of fabrics by Marcus Brothers. I followed the directions exactly, and it turned out great. She gives the best instructions. There are a couple of things I will change when (that's right, when, not if) I do another one, like adding a few pockets. But otherwise I won't change a thing. Doesn't it look like these bags? And to think, you can make your own for less than $15. I saw quite a few young girls carrying these bags when I visited my parents in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago. I saw several at the quilt show in Paducah, so I just assumed the women carrying them had made them. It wasn't until I talked to my sister (who's in college and knows a lot more about the latest trends than I do) that I found out the bags were store bought.

And doesn't this fabric make the cutest quilt? Once again, I can't take credit. Cindy pieced it, and the pattern is in the lastest issue of Quiltmaker. It's the alternate version of the Beatrix Potter baby quilt.

Now, this I can take credit for...


Here are some much improved pictures of the first and second blocks in the Rosebud Lane block of the month (which starts June 16 by the way....sign up now to make sure get in on this). I'm telling you, ladies, if I can do this, so can you. The instructions are very well written. As with any quilting project, the most time consuming part is the cutting. I love to piece, and these blocks let me do that while still doing something a little less conventional. Don't get me wrong...I love traditional quilts...but whoever thought you could piece a house?

And last but not least, here are the newest additions to our magazine inventory.

Lots of cute projects in these two. Check out Quilts and more for instructions on making a bag, pincushions, pillows, and several quilts, shown in fabrics ranging from trendy to traditional.

America Loves Scrap Quilts by McCalls Quilting is chock full of gorgeous scrap patterns (with instructions for how much yardage to buy if you don't plan to go the scrappy route). You'll especially love this magazine if (like me) you adore reproduction fabrics. I'm thinking of tackling the cover quilt, even though it has the A-word. Applique-ing perfect circles has proven to be a challenge for me in the past. Lord knows I've got enough reproduction fabrics to choose from though!

I've gone and made myself hungry by naming this post the way I did. I foresee a Braum's run in my near future!

1 comment:

beki said...

Those houses are adorable!