Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bewitched

Yesterday I channeled my inner Samantha, and with a twitch of the nose (and 6-7 hours of face time with my sewing machine), this...

...was magically transformed into this quilt! (The lighting in this photo is not so magical, but you get the general idea.)
Here's a little closer look at the panel and the pieced borders,
and an even closer look at the machine-appliqued moons. My machine-applique has come a long way if I don't say so myself. I'm really excited about it. I usually don't get much applique done because of the time involved. I enjoy the hand-stitching part - I find it very relaxing. What's not so relaxing is preparing the pieces to be appliqued. I'm still working on finding a technique that works well for me. But yesterday I discovered a new stitch on my little blue Kenmore sewing machines that works really well for applique (as long as you're not doing very small pieces. The stitch length and width on these machines is not adjustable). So thanks to Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 and an endless supply of thread colors, you may just see more applique from this quilter!

The Halloween fabric is a line from Clothworks called Mummy Mambo. We've got the whole line in the shop and on the website, plus kits for the quilt pictured above. I've got some more ideas for this line, so stay tuned for more Halloween projects!

No comments: