Friday, August 17, 2007

As promised...

... here is the nurse bag!

And the other side.
I tried to get a good picture of the lining also. The fabric is white with different doctors and nurses. Plus we added a couple of pockets because, well, you just need pockets.
We have some kits available at the shop and online (just $11.50!). I just love that fabric - the nurses are so chic! And they have a little bit of attitude, which makes them that much more endearing. Because as anyone who is related to a nurse knows (hi mom!), nurses have definitely got a little attitude. I think it's a survival skill - they need it to get through the day (or night!).

In the quilt guild I belong to, we are doing Eleanor Burns's Underground Railroad book as a block of the month. These are the blocks I have finished so far.

The book calls for red, green, blue, and brown fabrics on tan backgrounds. As you can see, I decided to substitute purple for red. I didn't realize how much that changed the look of the quilt until I got all of the blocks up on the design wall. I like purple, so it will work out for me just fine. But I also like red, and kind of want to make another set of blocks in using red. But I also don't like purple and red together, so I couldn't use both sets of blocks to make one large quilt. And I'm also not too keen on the idea of making two practically identical quilts. I did buy some pink reproduction fabric last year when we started this project with the intent of making a set of block using pink instead of red. Then maybe I could mix those blocks with the purple ones? Hmmm. It's a dilemma I probably won't ever have to solve, because the chances that I will ever get around to making a second set of blocks is slim to none.

We (the quilt guild) are having a work weekend tonight and tomorrow to make donation quilts for victims of the recent flooding. Everyone was instructed to bring orphan blocks and fabric to donate, so it will be interesting to see what we come up with. I'll be sure and take lots of pictures... if I remember my camera!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love the nurse bag!! I'd like to order a couple of them and some fabric. Please let me know how to get started. Thanks, Pam