Monday, August 13, 2007

Back to School Bags

This week is back to school time in our neck of the woods, and we just happen to have the perfect back to school bags for your favorite teachers and students!

This first one came out soooo cute. I am very excited about it. I already have grand plans to make one for every teacher I know, plus a couple more for teachers I don't know yet but will surely meet someday and want to give them a bag. (I know, this will never happen, but allow me delusions of grandeur for a moment, okay?)


It was designed for teachers by a teacher (Cindy). The fabrics are from the Cool School line by Loralie Designs. This is the same company that makes the adorable nurse fabric we carry (which reminds me - I've never blogged about the nurse bag! That'll be the next post...). This bag is large enough to carry a notebook (computer or otherwise), and there are pockets all along the outside of the bag to keep everything organized, from keys to cell phones to extra pencils. And when you add a panel of letters by Lakehouse Dry Goods, you can personalize the bag for your favorite teacher! We put "teacher" and "abcd" on ours to make it generic, but you could easily put "Mrs. Whoever," or "1st grade" - you get the idea. The letters were attached using Steam-a-Seam 2. Then she just top-stitched just inside the edge of the squares. This is also known as raw-edge applique.

My next bag would be perfect for either a teacher or student. I made this one for my sister who is in college studying to be a music teacher, so it will work either way.


She had mentioned that she liked this fabric (who doesn't?), so I made her a bag. It was supposed to be a Mother's Day present, but I'm obviously a little late. The start of a new school year seemed to be the perfect excuse to: a) get the bag done, and b) pretend that "back to school" was the reason I made the bag in the first place and not that I'm 3 months late with her Mother's Day present. This bag is also large enough for a notebook and school books. There are three pockets on the inside. I put some needlepoint canvas in the bottom to give it some shape. For the handle, I wanted something really strong that would hold up to carrying college textbooks. So, I went to my local discount store to the camping aisle and picked up a luggage strap. I can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much...less than $3.00. I cut it to the length I needed and covered it in fabric. It turned out really well, and it will be nice and strong.

Well, I haven't made much progress on my to-do list, but I'm going to work really hard on it this week. Maybe by the end of the month I'll be able to check off all those items and make a new list! That's the trouble with lists - by the time you finish one, it's time to make another and start on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very very cute indeed!